lily

my blog

*click*

on December 7, 2016

the *click* was supposed to be a cool camera noise. in case you didn’t get that 🙂 ANYWAY this post is dedicated to my love for photography and cameras.

I have been taking pictures of things since I was in, maybe 4th grade. that’s when my mom gave in to Apple and finally bought the iPhone 4. immediately I was taking pictures. at first it was random, like a photo of our street, my cat, flower, etc. but soon my dad dug out an old camera of his grandfather’- the kind that needs film and takes grainy, grayish-lavender pictures. what did I do with this new prize of mine? I went out into the neighborhood to take pictures of flowers, the street, some cats, my dad, etc. this model is actually so old that I searched and searched and I couldn’t find a pic of it online.

a week later, after a trip to the drug store to develop the film, I received a sleeve of shiny photos. I stared at them for a long time, especially the one of the lilies I saw growing tall in someone’s yard. I remembered one of them was hot pink with yellow stripes, but in the photo, without its defining colors, it looked like a ghost. there were more; some of them were shots from underneath, the leafy stem extending high and splitting off into the pale, lifeless petals. out of focus; dreamlike.

my second camera was an eternal switch off of disposable cameras. no words can describe my hate for those piece-a-junk cameras.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/20b7e790-5b52-419a-9350-21ed312317fd_1.d03232e702972f63b6ba3da3ce3d2bb2.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

my third camera was a sleek, blue Kodak that my grandmother sent to all of the grand kids. by then, I was in 5th grade, and had figured out what qualifies as a ‘good’ picture and how to take one. for the first time, the camera had settings that could change the outcome of the picture, like exposure, zoom, etc. what did I do with this new, innovative tool (that broke itself 6 months later)? I took some really aesthetic pictures of my cat.

Image result for Kodak EasyShare Sport C123 12 MP Waterproof Digital Camera (Blue)

http://www.evertek.com/imageshare/B/300×300/BLU-C123-FB-R-unit.jpg

now, I can probably predict what you’re thinking. wow, who let this girl even ten feet from any form of picture-taking device? but don’t worry! photography is fascinating to me, and I always want to learn more (I think the whole concept is very poetic), so I didn’t suck at cameras for very long. soon, I began using my iPhone to take pictures. this was a huge improvement, because I actually understood how it worked, and how to edit the exposure and lighting. recently, my dad sent me a set of iPhone lenses, which were really fun to play with. I used the close-up lens on the one of my eye:

fullsizerenderfullsizerender-1img_8906img_9333

this Christmas, I will be able to fulfill my love of photography once and for all. I’m getting a whole new kind of camera: what one would call a dSLR (fancy camera). this will allow me to take any kind of picture that I want. I’m excited! lily’s journey through the world of picture-taking continues…

Image result for d3300

http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM96RZZo-YRYNeYvAi9beHK4x3L-8iSKFuXbTDiVzOj5_9D03cEdJ1gEjX7rK74bi3TemBsjwqkN1duzuOiA==/Views/1529_D3300_left.png

photography is one of my passions. here is some extra info about it, if you’re interested. and here’s some cool pictures to look at.

and now I ask you: what do you think about the art of photo-taking? what is your passion?

6 Responses to “*click*”

1. Alexander says:

Hi my name is Alexander. I’m not much of a photographer but it seems like it would be something cool to do.I have a camera an old one at that but I don’t ever use it anymore.Anyway, I like what you did there at the beginning, it made be chuckle. Maybe you could check out my blog at http://2022alk.edublogs.org

• lily says:

Hi Alexander! Old cameras are cool, but sometimes they can’t do a lot of the stuff new cameras can. I’ll have to check out your blog!

2. fatimaisd20 says:

OMG LIlian!
    I have the same exact passion! I love the pictures you take. I’ve actually been looking for a camera for a while now. Are you team Nikon or team Canon?
    I also have a post with the pictures that I have taken.
    It’s fun knowing that people close to you have the same interest.
    Love your post and humor in the beginning BTW!
    -Fatima

• lily says:

That’s super cool! I don’t really know which side is better, but I guess I’m team Nikon as of dec.25th! I’ll have to check out that post soon. Thanks for the comment <3

3. Jasim says:

Hey Lily,
    This is a very interesting post about your adventures through different cameras. Glad to see you are getting a Nikon DSLR for Christmas.
    I am also very interested in photography, but I’m not a professional. I know how to adjust things like the exposure, focus, zoom, aperture, white balance and so on and I usually practice this on either my phone (which has a very nice 20 megapixel camera) and my parent’s DSLR.
    This post made a very interesting read. Thanks for sharing!
    Jasim

• lily says:

Jasim! It’s cool that we have a common passion, even though me, I don’t really know what I’m doing yet, haha. Thanks for commenting!